This morning we shared very entertaining non-fiction book reports. I was very impressed with how well the students write using the 3-point essay style. The reports ranged from parrot intelligence to monkeys to spiders to WWI to WWII to survival tactics to art and so forth. They were well written and show lots of detail.
HOMEWORK FOR READING OVER THE VACATION IS AT LEAST 40 MINUTES A DAY. IT WOULD BE BETTER IF KIDS WENT TO THE PUBLIC LIBRARY AND PICKED OUT A DOZEN OR SO BOOKS TO READ.
The kids are struggling a bit with symbolism in reading. We are beginning a critical analysis (the first one) of Crispin, comparing characters, setting, problem/solution, and plot, with the theme "Change". It is a difficult concept to grasp. As one student put it: "What! Can't I just read a book for fun? Or do I have to think about every book I read from now on?" My answer was that a book that you put time into, and immerse yourself in, should change who you are in some small way or big way. Thinking about it critically enhances your thought process and makes you question the world and yourself, making you stronger. I'm not sure the kids understand, but we will be critically analyzing literature through the rest of the year. It is a rich and rewarding experience. Yes, they will still be able to love books, and I want them to see them in new ways. I would like them to complete their own critical analysis before the year's end.
In math we learned three separate ways to solve measurement problems. Bar models, number bonding, and the "Mrs. Penrod" way. STUDENTS HAVE EXERCISED 2 AND 3 TO COMPLETE OVER SPRING BREAK. If your child has lost his/her math book, please locate it over Spring Break. Problems include:
5 km 3 m - 2 km 48 m = ____ km____m
Use English and Metric systems if you are practicing with your child.
After lunch we had Cultural Roundtable and played the funnest game ever! 1,2,3, Freeze! in French. We played as a school in the gym. Pictures were taken.
At 12:30 we began our Performance Series testing. Most students completed a test. We will be taking one test per week throughout the rest of the school year. These tests map students' progress and drive instruction. They are good indicators for how quickly and consistently children are learning concepts. Please encourage your child to do his/her best.
Mini-courses were exciting, as always. DOES ANYONE HAVE STYROFOAM SHEETS FROM PACKAGING WE COULD USE FOR THE NEXT EARTHQUAKE MINICOURSE?
Have a wonderful Spring Break!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.